West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry). West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) It's the food I grew up with. Rendang is a spicy meat dish which originated from West Sumatra, Indonesia. With a slow cooking process in coconut milk & also spices-rich.you'll love it!
An abundance of fierce spices, infused into Indonesian culture by both trade and colonization, make their impression on Gordon. One thing in common, rendang is West Sumatran caramelized beef curry, and Gordon did a great job. He learned to understand and he tasted from different places around this area," William said. You can have West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) using 25 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry)
- You need of Basic Ingredients.
- You need 700 grams of fresh beef shanks/ribs/chuck, cut into large cubes.
- Prepare 800 ml of pure coconut milk (from 3 mature coconuts).
- It’s 1500 ml of young coconut water.
- It’s 150 grams of unpeeled baby potatoes, cut slightly.
- It’s 150 grams of red beans, boiled until half-cooked.
- It’s 2 tsp of salt.
- You need of Ground-Spice Ingredients.
- Prepare 100 grams of red chilli peppers (add more if you likel it spicy).
- You need 10 clove of medium shallots.
- Prepare 10 clove of garlics.
- It’s 3 cm of ginger, peeled.
- You need 2 cm of turmeric, peeled.
- Prepare 5 piece of candlenuts.
- You need 1/2 of nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander seed.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of pepper powder.
- Prepare of Leaf & Spice Ingredients.
- You need 3 of turmeric leaves.
- Prepare 8 of fresh lime leaves.
- You need 5 of Indonesian bay-leaves (daun salam).
- It’s 3 piece of thick lemongrasses white part only, smashed.
- It’s 4 cm of galangal, peeled & slightly smashed.
- You need 3 piece of small star anise.
- It’s 1 piece of cinnamon stick.
Do not cut the beef too small as the meat can break into smaller pieces during cooking. That's because Beef Rendang was originally created as a method of preserving meat. Sumatra Chicken Curry (pictured above) is a colourful dish with a fresh flavour with the combination of coriander, chilli, ginger and lime. Click here for the Sumatran Chicken Curry recipe.
West Sumatran Rendang (Beef Curry) step by step
- Blend the Ground-Spice Ingredients together until well combined like a smooth paste. Set aside..
- Combine pure coconut milk & young coconut water to the nonstick-large-pan. Boil & stir them well in a medium heat..
- Add the smooth paste of Ground-Spice Ingredients. Stir well to combine and turn into sweet orange coloured liquid..
- Add all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients. Stir constantly until slightly fragrant..
- Add salt..
- Add fresh beef until well combined. Stir well and bring a gentle boil..
- Once the meat is half-cooked, add baby potatoes & red beans..
- Stir it well every 15 minutes or so to prevent sticking, until the mixture become thicker, darker & gloriously fragrant..
- Continue to simmer gently until the liquid has evaporated by about 95%. Reduce the heat to low..
- Test the meat, it should be perfect enogh when it's fork-tender..
- Taste the liquid for salt, add a pinch if you need more. Mix them. Turn down the heat.
- Remove all the Leaf & Spice Ingredients..
- Serves the dish with steamed rice..