Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam. Semur ayam is a chicken and potato dish stewed in spices, nutmeg, and kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). The taste is very bold, the chicken and potatoes tender and succulent, and you will want to mop up all the sauce with a big bowl of steamed white rice. Semur ayam is a part of Indonesian cuisine.
Perhaps do you know nasi goreng? Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam Wice Kosin Singapore. Semur Ayam (Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Sweet Soy Sauce) is a type of meat stew that originated from Java. You can cook Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam
- Prepare 1 of chicken marinate with 1 tsp salt and 1 TB soy sauce.
- It’s 500 g of potato.
- You need 1 of medium red onion.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic.
- You need 2 TB of sweet dark soy sauce.
- It’s 1.5 L of Water.
- Prepare 1 of tomato.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
Javanese people tend to like sweet dishes and hence, the sweet soy sauce used in this dish. Semur Ayam was then adopted in other areas in Indonesia. Made with Food Corner – A family cooking and food blog with hundreds of healthy, whole-food recipes for the home cook. Food Corner – A family cooking and food blog with hundreds of healthy, whole-food recipes for the home cook.
Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam step by step
- Clean the chicken well and marinate with salt and soy sauce.
- Mix well and let it sit for a while.
- Fry garlic and red onion.
- Add in the chicken and Sweet dark Soy sauce and fry until no longer pink.
- Add water, bring it to a boil.
- Then cover and simmer on low heat for 30 mins.
- Add tomato and nutmeg powder and cover again for another 15 mins.
- Then add potato and salt, cover and simmer again for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Now it's ready to be served, goes very well with steamed rice.
Make shallow diagonal slashes in the chicken pieces; then rub chicken with salt, pepper, coriander & lime juice. Sauté spices paste, onion, chilies, ginger & bay leaves with margarine. Put in the chicken, soy sauce, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg & broth. Semur is a very popular type of stew originating in Java. It is a wonderful and hearty example of Javanese cuisine.